|Volunteer Counsellor Recruitment 2014 - 2015
We are running an Information Session on:
Friday 5th December 2014 2.45 - 4.00pm
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer counsellor with the Hounslow Youth Counselling Service (HYCS). We are now planning our next recruitment of counsellors to the Service for 2014 - 2015.
This year we are proposing to recruit and train up to 15 counsellors who want to develop their theory, skills and experience around working with young people (11 to 18 years old) and young adults (11 to 25 years old).
HYCS has 28 years of experience working with this age group as well as recruiting, training and supporting counsellors to develop their professional practice.
If you are interested in working with HYCS then please take a look at the information below and the annual report.
If, after reading these documents you have any questions or are interested in working for HYCS in the future as a volunteer counsellor and you feel you meet the criteria then please email your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing:
Below is an outline of our selection procedure and what we are looking for in terms of commitment and qualifications as well as what we offer to volunteer counsellors. Our latest annual report may also be useful in helping you decide whether to apply or not. HYCS may change any of these details as we constantly review Service needs and best practice to ensure we offer a professional service to young people.
- your qualifications in counselling and related subjects
Download the following PDF for details about HYCS' work over the last year:
Annual Report 2013 - 2014
At our next selection we will be recruiting qualified volunteer humanistic counsellors who are available for evening and/or day sessions to work with young people, 11 to 25 years old, in the London Borough of Hounslow.
We are looking for counsellors who:
- Are qualified as humanistic/integrative counsellor on an approved course
Selection Procedure Outline
- And are working towards accreditation with BACP or equivalent (e.g., UKCP, BPS or IPN)
- Are interested in working with young people from age 11 up to 25 years old
- Will be available to see 3 - 6 clients per week and have the time and energy for supervision, training and agency development including attending Service meetings and AGM
- Are in/have been in personal therapy for the duration of their course
- Will meet our selection criteria and will be able to complete our selection programme
We will also ask applicants to consider the distance they live from the Service as there are obligations to attend all training sessions and meetings at the Service in addition to seeing clients weekly.
- Information session at HYCS
- Application form
- Selection sessions: 2 Friday evenings plus Saturday and Sunday
- If successful then references and enhanced DBS checks
- Completion of HYCS core trainings and induction (Saturdays)
- Counselling in our centre 3 to 6 clients per week
- Continuation on HYCS training for counsellors working with young people (Saturdays)
- 12 month probationary period
For those counsellors who do join us we offer:
Our recruitment, selection process and training are designed to enable both the Service and the applicants to make realistic decisions about whether to work together or not. The process involves a number of interviews and a residential weekend as well as an induction period and core training. For us to be thorough in our selection this will take some time. HYCS is committed to Safeguarding young people and this is reflected in the approach we take to recruitment and selection of volunteers.
- Regular monthly counselling supervision
- Ongoing in-house training
- Access to training within Hounslow Children's Services
- Managerial support and supervision
- Team support
- Experience of working in a voluntary sector agency
- The opportunity to develop your skills and experience of working with young people in a supportive environment
- Opportunities to develop counselling practice in a range of settings: initially at our centre at 78 St John's Road and then possibly in schools and a YOI prison
- Small library
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer counsellor with us then please check to see if we are potentially the right agency for you and email us with your details (as stated above). Particularly, you will need to meet the criteria listed above.
(HYCS cannot guarantee accreditation with BACP or any other organisation)